On this day in
1494 - was born the Italian mannerist painter Jacopo da Pontormo
1897- Dies the cuban writer José Martí.
1930 Director Claude Chabrol was born in Paris France
1974 - Dies the american musician Duke Ellington
The collection is hosted in the loggias of the small 14th century cloister annexed to the ancient Franciscan monastery. The excellent architectural complex was built in 1361 by the Comacine masters, as evidenced by an inscription in the entrance and by the symbols carved in some stone blocks of the west wall which are still visible from the adjacent street. Officially opened in 1966, the Museum consists of a section dedicated to sacred arts and of a paint gallery. It displays the most significant exhibits of the rich artistic heritage of both the monastery and other Franciscan churches: panel paintings and canvases, a precious fresco from St. Francis’ Church, vestments, furnishings and paraments from the 14th to the 18th century, which testify to the presence of the friars and to their role in the evolution of the Republic’s arts and culture.
Via Basilicius - 47890 San Marino
Hours: January 1 - June 9, 9 am - 5 pm / June 10 - September 15, 8 am - 8 pm / September 16 - Dicember 30, 9 am - 5 pm
Admission: general € 3 / concessions € 1.50
Ticket for two museums: € 3 ( Palazzo Pubblico + Museo S.Francesco)
he State Museum of San Marino was established in the second half of the 19th century, thanks to a series of donations from all over the world. Such donations, made by many people admiring the Republic, were initially promoted by Count Luigi Cibrario, Minister of Vittorio Emanuele II and Plenipotentiary of the State of San Marino since the signature of the first treaty with the Kingdom of Italy (1862). The Museum was inaugurated in 1899 in Palazzo Valloni, seat of the State Library. After becoming an autonomous entity in 1982, it was rearranged in the ancient Palazzo Pergami-Belluzzi, duly restructured to this end, and reopened to the public on 18 March 2001. The State Museum gathers almost 5,000 historical and artistic items coming from San Marino and linked to its history and from other places, as the result of purchases or donations from 1865 till today.
Palazzo Pergami Belluzzi Piazzetta del Titano, 1 - San Marino
Hours: 2 January- 7 June: 9.00 - 17.00
8 June- 13 September: 8.00 - 20.00
14 September- 31 December: 9.00 - 17.00
Tickets: € 3.00 / reduced € 1.50
Combined tickets: € 4.50 Museo di Stato + Palazzo Pubblico
€ 4.50 I Torre + II Torre