- This event has passed.
The Hirshhorn has acquired “This You,” by contemporary artist Tino Sehgal
1 September, 2018
“This You” is the first exclusively live artwork to join the Hirshhorn’s permanent collection.
Debuting Labor Day weekend, the artist’s work will run for six weeks (from September 1 to October 14).
The outdoor work will sit alongside public sculpture interacting with visitors.
“This You” by artist Tino Sehgal is interpersonal in nature, composed of unanticipated, intimate moments that each visitor will experience in their own way.
For its inaugural Washington presentation, “This You” will feature Tattiana Aqeel, Erin Frisby, Arielle Goodman, Briona Jackson, Sadie Leigh, Christiana Vandermale, Jahnel Daliya Slowikowski and Lara Supan.
A singer will be present at all times that the museum is open, throughout the work’s entire run.
Artist Tino Sehgal (b. 1976, London) lives and works in Berlin.
He is one of the most critically acclaimed artists. He has developed a radical artistic practice and describes his works as constructed situations. The materials are the human voice, language, movement, and interaction.
- All of Sehgal’s works reside only in the space and time they occupy and in the memory of the work and its reception.
- The artist’s work fulfills the conventions of visual art and functions fully within the infrastructure of the art gallery or museum.
- Throughout his work, artist Tino Sehgal has explored social processes, conventions and the allocation of rules.
- He has redefining fundamental parameters such as materiality, idea, originality, consumer and value.
- Trained in political economy and choreography, both fields have played a fundamental role in the development of Sehgal’s artistic practice.
- He pursued both to investigate the feasibility of alternatives to the understanding of production as the transformation of natural resources.